Smart Choices for a Healthy Life
The Smart Choices for a Healthy Life Program delivers free age-appropriate education to K-12 students, college students, and school nurses with the aim of reducing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and supporting those who are affected. Our lessons meet NJSLS curriculum requirements for Comprehensive Health education.
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders affect an estimated 40,000 infants each year. FASD cannot be cured but raising public awareness and teaching youth to make healthier choices can reduce alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
For the K-12 students, interactive presentations are offered that utilize a nationally-recognized curriculum created by the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (NOFAS, now FASD United) to address many important health topics, including:
For younger students (K-5):
- The importance of treating all people with respect regardless of individual capabilities or disabilities
- Making good decisions about what we eat, and drink can make us healthier.
- Making healthy choices is important for all people at all stages of life.
For older students (6-12):
- An age-appropriate overview of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder
- The overall effects that alcohol can have on the body
- Why some people who drink alcohol become addicted while others do not
- What can happen to human development when a pregnant woman drinks alcohol
Programming for college students:
- Tabling session with informational pamphlets that can take place anywhere on campus.
- For college students in public health, psychology, social work, and other related fields, Smart Choices offers a 45-minute in-depth lecture. This presentation goes over the biological bases of FASD as well as the professional’s role in supporting the community and lowering the population’s prevalence.
Professional education for school nurses and other school staff:
- On-demand webinars focus on the science of FASD and give school nurses and other school professionals tools to support the education of individuals with FASD.
- FASD Resource List for families and professionals to learn more about FASD
The Smart Choices for a Healthy Life presentations are available to schools in the Partnership’s seven county service area. We can deliver our presentations via your school’s virtual platform, or in person, following all safety protocols. Contact us for more information.
Call 973-874-6589 to host a presentation at your school, for information on school nurse professional education programs, or to learn more.
Funding for this program has been provided by the New Jersey Department of Human Services Division of Developmental Disabilities.
View our Videos:
Check out some fun additional activities!
Healthier Living Crossword Puzzle and Answer Key
Healthier Living Word Search and Answer Key