Family Support Worker – Healthy Families of Essex
LOCATION: Irvington, New Jersey
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time / Non-Exempt- 37.5 hours/week
ANNUAL SALARY: $33,500/year
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for establishing and maintaining a long-term relationship with the families enrolled in the Healthy Families/TANF Initiative for Parents Essex County Program. Conduct home visitation services from pregnancy through the child’s third year. Trainings and professional development provided.
- Outreach families referred through Central Intake or a Service Provider
- Use standardized screening tool to determine eligibility for home visitation services
- Conduct family-centered and strength-based Home Visits based on the assigned enrolled family’s level of service
- Interview/conduct Parent Survey with parents to identify strengths/risk factors
- Conduct weekly outreach efforts to engage hard to reach clients
- Document weekly home visits, assessment tools, and forms in a timely and confidential manner
- Utilize Parents as Teachers curriculum to help improve parent child interaction
- Assist in strengthening the parent-child relationship
- Assist parents in improving their skills to optimize the home environment
- Assist in increasing the family support system and the family’s ability to problem solve
- Identify and refer to other supportive agencies, including healthcare appointments
- Assist with organizing and facilitating parent workshops
- Provide advocacy at appointments, as needed
- Maintain own functioning vehicle in good working condition at all times
- Handles other assignments as requested
- High School graduate; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Two years of experience working with children (0-3 years of age) and families
- Knowledge of normal child growth/development and parent-child relationships
- Experience in working with community agencies, including implementing referral processes
- Ability to establish and maintain personal/programmatic boundaries, while providing supportive services.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals who may not share basic commonality.
- Experience working in culturally diverse communities; ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Good verbal and written communication skills; computer literacy