Accounts Receivable & Medicaid Billing Specialist
LOCATION: Hybrid, Newark, NJ
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time / Exempt – 37.5 hours/week
Manage the revenue cycle for the Partnership including the Medicaid billing process. This will include the initial Medicaid certification process for the Partnership.
- Manage Organization through Medicaid certification process, including completing all applications and ensuring the Organization moves through the process both timely and accurately.
- Independently prepare and post journal entries into the ABILA accounting system including cash receipts, revenues, adjusting journal entries.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations for Grants Receivable, Refundable Advances.
- Prepare and do bank deposits for payments/donations received, post cash receipts into accounting system and maintain petty cash.
- Prepare quarterly invoices to partner hospitals and monitor collections.
- Prepare and submit billing data and medical claims to insurance companies for services provided by doulas affiliated with the Partnership’s doula project.
- Monitor and record late payments from hospitals and Medicaid providers.
- Follow-up on missed payments and resolve financial discrepancies.
- Investigate and appeal denied Medicaid claims.
- Maintain billing software by updating rate change, cash spreadsheets, and current collection reports.
- Handle other ad hoc assignments as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work is performed in a variety of office, health care and community settings; may involve bending, color identification, gripping with hands and fingers, hearing voice conversation, keyboarding, kneeling, lifting up to 35 pounds, pulling, pushing, reaching, sitting, standing, stooping and walking. Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision. The employee will attend meetings at a variety of places and will need to drive. Occasional stair climbing is required.
WORK REQUIREMENTS: There are no unusual work conditions. Noise level at work is moderate. The employee will experience outside weather conditions while in transit to and from meetings or during special events.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE PREFERRED: 1-3 years of Medicaid billing experience. Familiarity with non-profit accounting principles. Attention to detail and ability to work under strict deadlines and prioritize competing assignments. Self-starter who is proactive and can work independently. Computer proficiency in MS Office and accounting software. Good verbal and written communication skills.